Thursday 30 July 2015

Massive acid attack in Microbiology pracs!!

Hello there ^_^
Today I am sharing one of the major accidents occurred with me during my post graduation years.
It's a very painful story, so please feel the pain with me :(

So there was I...
Sincerely carrying out my Sugar estimation by Phenol-Sulphuric Acid Method.
Too engrossed in my practical I was working as though nobody else existed in the world.

Girl, seriously? Sounds like you are making a mountain of a molehill.

Yes seriously, now you zip it and listen.
What was I talking about??

Oh yeah, so I was working on my estimation. This chemical estimation requires addition of  4ml of Concentrated Sulphuric acid. After cribbing a lot in front of the non teaching people, they poured it in a flask for me.

But eventually I had to add it myself in the tubes.
So after a lot of researching, googling, and lab testing I found out that burette will be the best way to add it in the tubes.

Hence I poured the acid in the burette using a funnel and started adding sulphuric acid in my tubes. Unfortunately my tubes were more ad hence I had to to refill the burette. T_T
So I held the burette and started pouring the acid in it. And that's when the dreadful event happened. 2-3 big drops trickled out of the funnel and started running along the burette towards my thumb in a slow motion. And well I saw them trickling down but I guess my hand-eye co-ordination is weak and before I could move my hand away, the acid dropped on my thumb. :o

Girl you should play more video games for a better co-ordination.
I have a good co-ordination, I was just too engrossed in my work. Now suck it up.

In a lightning speed I ran towards the sink, and put my thumb under the tap water. And that's when it started paining like hell and I cried in a way, that entire lab came down.
My teachers, non teaching staff and my friends gathered around me to know what happened. Somebody got an ice pack and applied it on my thumb. I will spare you the other remedial parts.

After everything calmed down, I wanted to laugh at my huge reaction, because nothing major had occurred. My thumb was alright, just a bit red and swollen but alright. Within a few days it was back to it's normal look. Seems like more than the pain, I was scared about the whole incident.

Wow, what a massive attack. Just a hoopla of a small issue. -_-
I said I was scared.

Anyways, if you have any such crazy accident stories then please do share it with us.
Lots of Love.
-Crazy Staph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins - Worth the hype

 Namaste. Question - Have you read the book "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins? Question again - Did you like it? If your an...