Monday 12 October 2015

What is a Rationale

Ssup people :D
Staph here.
Today's Monday hence we all know it is.......... Yeah you guessed it right.
The Researcher's Day.
Glitters Glitters ^_^
Topic for today is one of the most important, brain tickling and most irksome in our research.
Rationale.
When you are writing your rationale in your proposal or thesis, that would probably the first time when you will actually think 'Why am I doing this research?'
Yeah, so let's get down to knowing this little researchy monster.

So, What is a Rationale?
Have you ever had a question in your head "Why on earth did I choose this topic?"
Well if yes, then all the answers that come in your brain for this question is your rationale.
That's it?
Yes, that's it.
All you have do is put all your answers in a formal language using a lot of scientific words and frame it like an essay.

Where do I include it?
Mostly it is a part of your introduction, but you are free to put it individually in a separate heading if you want. 

What is it's significance?
It holds all the purpose of your research. The examiner will read this to know why you chose this topic? Why is it a trending topic? How different is your research from the previous researchers who worked on the same topic, etc. Hence it is very important for you to decorate this topic well.

How should I write it?
Ask yourself a few questions. Trust me, it's not a bookish line. It does help. I will explain with an example of my own research.
My research had a lot of parameters and hence it was essential to touch upon them.
I was doing a project on biosurfactants. Why? Because they are a better alternative of chemical surfactants and have a wide range of industrial and medical applications.
I was using agro - industrial wastes for biosurfactant production. Why? Because biosurfactant production using commercial substrate is quite expensive.
Then I was doing media optimization. Why? To get the optimum yield of biosurfactant.
I was also testing 3 different recovery techniques. Why? To determine which of the three is the most effeicent in extracting the maximum biosurfactant that is produced.
I used oil contaminated soil samples as my source of isolating the producer. Why? Because potent hydrocarbon degraders can possibly be potent biosurfactant producers. 
And this is how I went asking myself different questions and searched answers in different research and review papers. And this is how I constructed my rationale.

And that's it.
I hope this helps writing your rationale a bit easier.
Always feel free to ask me any doubts or questions regarding your research or how to write it.
I will be more than happy to help.
Lots of love <3
High Six :D
-Staph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins - Worth the hype

 Namaste. Question - Have you read the book "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins? Question again - Did you like it? If your an...